I've been really wanting to start fishing Fluke this year. I've never done it before, I've been looking online on the basic set up and stuff. All I need now is a good spot and try...Anyone wanna let me in on a good onshore spot? Looking to take come a couple of keepers. 20inchs and 7 per person on Fluke right?

Posted Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:58 am

(Yeah 20in 7per person per day)
I've been an avid fluke fisherman for the past seven years, and what works best for me is my own style fluke rig. Take a Kahle hook, tie a 36in piece of fluorocarbon to it, slide on a bucktail skirt, or rubber squid skirt(rubber squid skirt may require a bead before it so it doesn't slip over the hook. Then take two to three beads the same color as your skirt, and slide em on, now to top it off, slide on a spin n' glo or a spoon with a clevis. Then tie this to a three-way swivel. Then, tie on a piece of 20 lb test mono to the three-way, and tie a sinker clasp to that. You can clasp on a plain sinker, or I like Spro Jig Heads, I personally make my own from Do-It molds, I usually use 2-3-4oz spear-head or minnow-head jigs. Your weight will be determined if you can "hold" bottom while jigging, if you can't feel the sinker or jig head bouncing off the bottom then up the weight, it wil depend on the depth and drift /wind speeds. For colors you have a few options, my fav's are glow in the dark, white, and pink. For bait your options are many... Squid strips, whole squid, live minnows/silversides, peanut bunker... you can also cut the meat off of the white undersides of bluefish, fluke, sea robins, choggies, etc. What I do it cut the white part into strips and put them on the hook. This little bit of info should get you on some fish...... You did ask for an on-shore spot, I've never caught a fluke from the shore. Fluke are aggressive bottom feeders that chase bait that comes by a few inches to a foot off the bottom. Your best bet if you don't have a boat os take a trip on the Frances Fleet out of Galilee. But let me know how you make out... Josh

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:01 pm

use live mummys at places like narrow river at the spraig or middle bridge not to many 20 inch fish but you never know

Posted Mon May 18, 2009 8:01 am

The best way to get started is on a boat, freinds, charter 7 Bs. It's really difficult from shore you may get one or two if your lucky. I'm lucky I use both of the aboves. You need to cover alot of bottom to find them. As far as gear I use the same rods/reels for Stripers/Tautog/Cod that will handle weights up to 10-12 ozs if you need it and some days you will. As far as terminal tackle KISS, keep it simple stupid, color isn't that important to me the fish hear/smell it long before the see it and in 40-60ft of water there isn't much light down there to make color important flash maybe. I use a three way swivel with no more then 6 inchs of 20lb test line on the bottom part to the sinker if it hangs up it's easy to break, lose the sinker not the whole rig. the other eye on the swivel I use 2-3 feet of 30lb test with a hook Kahle/Circle/O'Shanasey with squid strip 2x6 inches with a mummy/spearing hooked on or just a whole squid and you want to be bounching the bottom. Finally you can use a fluke rig bought at a tackle shop pick a color any color

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:39 am

RI Fish Finder

Social Links