Tomorrow I will be making an all out attempt at a lunker... maybe even a state record. I will be rowing a canoe about a mile and a half to get to a remote body of water that doesnt even have a name. Im not really even sure it is possible to get there, but its worth a shot.

I will be bringing 3 rods with different types of heavy braid and fluorocarbon. My secret weapon will be a double fluke with a 5" fluke in the front in watermelon/red or watermelon red pearl with 7" Magnum Fluke in baby bass that will be touched up with a sharpie (with bass markings). I am hoping that it looks like an adolescent bass chasing a bait fish. I have had success on a double fluke before but this is the first time I am trying the idea using the magnum fluke chaser. It will take a pig with fins to hit the magnum fluke, but its a great time of year to give it a shot and worse case scenario is that the bass get greedy and try to steal the baitfish from the chasing baby bass.

I know not a lot of people browse this site, but its a great tool for me to keep notes. Im hoping that this trip pays off.. Update to come tomorrow.

Posted Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Solid day. Rowed my way through a marsh (which is why I went with the canoe and didnt bother with the motor) to get to the spot. Took me longer than expected and I didnt get a rod in the water until about 9:30. Got 8 fish into the boat, but none were what I was hoping for. All were in the 2-5 pound range. Would have been a great day if I was in a tournament, but I was hoping for just one bomber. Everything was muck and grass beds, weeds, and slime. The fluke was the winner of the day. Buzzbait grabbed a couple and they HAMMERED the frog through the grass beds but was not having great success on the hook ups.

Not the best fish of the day, but the best picture of the day.

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:17 pm

I like your style. rowing 1.5 miles to uncharted waters is something many would not attempt. not me. i love fishing in places where there is no "fishing pressure" aka no boat launch. fishing on a bass boat is nice... but kayak/canoe fishing in desolate areas is equally enjoyable. well done.

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Well, one of my knocks on RI fishing is that as soon as a hot spot becomes a hot spot then everyone fishes it until its no longer hot. Getting to those untapped hot spots are the only way to hook into the real bombers that are out there. I know that this place holds some, and even though I busted my ass to get there I will bust my ass at a chance to once again hook a big' un.

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Going back Sunday.

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 pm

excellent.. nothing like throwing the boat into a brand new place and seeing what you produce

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:13 am

Absolutely. Its a pain in the ass to get out there but every time I do its worth it. I posted that on my first time out and it has been my "go to" ever since. Because it is so overgrown it has greatly improved my frogging technique.

Posted Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 am

pain in the ass indeed lol.. last time i made the effort i spent all day taking 15lb carp off of my line Razz

Posted Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:15 pm

RI Fish Finder

Social Links