Hello from Tiverton.Spring is on the way!

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:42 am

last year i git my first bass on April 1st. by the looks of it there will probably still be ice on the ponds for Petes sake.

Posted Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:11 am

Got my first of the year yesterday. Nothing spiffy, it was about 1.5-2 lbs. It was just nice to get one and the weather is turning faster then I had expected. We'll be on the water in no time.

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:41 am

any details?

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Well it was at a small pond on private property since most of the major fisheries are closed to fishing due to the trout being stocked. I was a bit concerned that potentially this pond froze all the way through over the course of this harsh winter so I went there basically to test out some new stuff and make sure everything is in order for this upcoming year. The water was very cold and the clarity was minimal. Overall the pond looked pretty bare which worried me but I started off throwing a BPS Lazer Eye spinner bait with tandem colorado blades. I was slow rolling it on 8/30 power pro on an 6'8" veritas rod with a Abu Garcia Revo S baitcast. I was hoping for an active bite and that would have triggered it but I got nothing. I then wanted to try out a new additions to the team an Abu Garcia Revo SX spinning rod on a St. Croix Mojo Bass rod (Wack Style). I was throwing a wacky rigged senko on 8 lb. Berkley 100% fluorocarbon.. Still got nothing. They I went to a floating jerk bait. I prefer suspending for pre-spawn (if thats what you want to call this right now), but the pond is only 5-6 feet deep at its deepest point so even suspending baits get sucked into the slime that coats the bottom of this pond. I went with gold/black. I was working it insanely slow. A fish came up and gently grabbed the rear treble hooks. Which is an indicator that they just arent feeding yet. I think a few more days of warm weather to get the water temps up a bit will get them going and we will truly start to see pre-spawn patterns.

I will probably try again tomorrow and take a couple of casts. For the most part I spent all day today getting the boat ready. Just installed a Minn Kota Talon, so Im pretty pumped. The week after opening day I took the week off so I plan on getting the boat down to Wordens Pond a couple of times that week. I'll keep posting on this site what Im finding.

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:06 pm

RI Fish Finder

Social Links