went fishing last weekend. real early in the morning, 7 oclock or so is early for me. so i grab a cup of coffee from DD on my way. i get there and i rig up my rod and cast it out, and proceed to toss a few pieces of extra bait in the water around where i had cast. so im relaxing with my coffee, and my pole on the ground beside me. it had only been 5 minutes so i wasnt expecting anything yet, when i see my line tense up. i reach down for the pole and it launches out from under my hand and into the water. startled me for a second, and that was all the time that 10 pound carp needed to drag my rod+reel 12 feet into the water with him. i had to run out there with my shoes and jeans on to get it. but i landed the fish! he was a beauty and faught like crazy. very feisty stubborn fish. caught a few more after him and a bass or 2. something like this ever happened to anyone else?

Posted Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Good job carpman! Sounds like you need a rod holder. I use a piece of under the sink plastic pipe with a tent stake duct taped to it, works great! I just had the pipe laying around you can use whatever you have.

Posted Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:21 am

sounds like a fun day to me but you need to fish a liter drag

Posted Fri May 22, 2009 8:50 pm

Yeah it happens, You really need to keep a very light drag or open bail when carp fishing.

They will take the pole or snap a line in a heart beat.

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:50 am

yea, i only had a line snapped with them once, and it was because of those little clam weights. i dont use them anymore. and since then i have gotten a rod holder, it looks like a big spring with a stake, and it was free because i found it when fishing so its all good! i wish i could post about more fishing trips but i just had a baby so my time is all taken up.

Posted Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:07 am

if you dont hold your rod get a bait runner

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:52 am

RI Fish Finder

Social Links